Monday, October 24, 2011

The Power of Networking

Networking is an important part of any job search.  That's why we're all on LinkedIn, isn't it?  As an introvert (INFP through and through), I never believed that I was good at networking.  I thought that proper networking meant giving your job seeker's elevator speech to each and every person who you happen to run into during your day-to-day life.  Note to self- I really do need to work on my elevator speech.  I thought you had to be like a life insurance salesman, contacting every single person you know on a daily basis to check in and see if they've heard of any leads. 

With this idea of proper networking in my mind, I was glad to read this article, where I found myself identifying much more with the tortoise than the hare.  And so I present to you two recent instances where being a networking tortoise brought success:

I scratch your back, you scratch my back

During my the Entrepreneurship 101 class on economic feasibility, one of my classmates mentioned that he didn't know where to go for product development and sample sewing. He's starting a business that will sell travel and performance clothing and accessories. Off the top of my head I could think of three different companies that may be able to assist him. Besides that, I've studied product development at the Art Institute of Portland. It's exactly the kind of work I'm trying to get into.

When the class ended, I approached my classmate and shared with him the name of the companies that I knew. He was very glad for the information.

The next week, I again approached my classmate when the class ended. I asked him if he had researched the companies I told him about, and how it was going. We talked a bit about his business idea, where he is in the process of starting his business, and how his designs were coming along. I mentioned my studies at the Art Institute. At the end of our conversation, he asked me if I would be interested in freelancing the development of his line. Of course!  Networking Success #1!

Networking with good networkers

One of my instructors at the Art Institute impressed upon us the importance of networking. You could tell that she was very good at it. Her network is vast and she knows how to keep in casual contact with everyone. She was the kind of instructor who cared very much about the success of her students.

After I graduated, I thought it would be a good idea to contact her to see if she could help with my job search. I was right! We met for lunch and she came prepared with a list of people she knew in the industry who she was willing to introduce me to for informational interviews.

Since then she's become a friend and a valuable member of my job search support network.

Recently, a friend of hers sent out an email asking for names of people who might be interested in an Assistant Patternmaker position at a company that I would love to work for. My former instructor instantly thought of me. After I gave my approval, she sent an email with an introduction and reference to the hiring manager. As a result, I got an interview!

This is the first time I have ever been able to access a job in the hidden job market. This job is not advertised anywhere. Networking Success #2!

No comments:

Post a Comment