Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Entrepreneurship 101- part 1

Since I can't seem to get a job to save my life, I keep coming back to the idea of starting my own business.  But really, the seeds for this idea started before I was laid off from my last job.  It all started with a pair of Fluevogs...

Last February Portland got its very own John Fluevog store. If you don't know what I'm talking about, stop right now and go to their website.   Now that you're back and you've wiped the drool off your computer...  I bought my first pair of Fluevogs the day the store opened.  I was also the first person in the door when they had the official store opening party.  My goal was to meet John Fluevog- and I did.  I gushed all over him.  It was embarrassing.  I told him, "Meeting you is like meeting a rock star." He signed my shoes (now my most prized possessions).  The next day I described him to others as someone who "oozes awesomeness."

This idea of oozing awesomeness stuck in my head.  I decided I wanted to be someone who oozes awesomeness.  I started thinking about other people who fit that description and what they have in common.  In my mind, a lot of people who ooze awesomeness are people who make things or design things. And so I came up with the idea that I wanted to make shoes.

Making shoes is hard.  And so is starting a business.  That's two big hurdles.

I've told many people about my idea to make shoes.  Everyone has been supportive.  I've said over and over, "that's it!  If I don't get such-and-such job then I'm done with the job hunting thing and I'm going into business myself!"  And people have nodded their heads to that idea.  I've done tons of research and informational interviews and everyone I've talked to has been very nice and helpful.  But so far no one has been able to help me get over the fear of putting all my faith into a business venture of my own.

The only thing I could think of to get over this paranoia is to do what any over-educated individual would do; I signed up for a class. 

Yesterday I became a student at the Chemeketa Community College Small Business Development Center.  The Chemeketa Center for Business & Industry is part of a statewide program offering assistance to small business owners.  There are also SBDCs at Portland Community College and Clackamas Community College.  I chose Chemeketa because they priced the class series right (Free! versus much much more than free at PCC and CCC).

There were a few key points I took from the class yesterday.
  1. Of the three roles of a successful entrepreneur, I seem to be stuck in the Visionary role.  I've got all kinds of grand ideas about making shoes, playing a role in a more local-based economy, all that good touchy feely stuff.  This means I'm going to have to get assistance with the other two roles: the Deck Swabber and the Manager. 
  2. Since I don't know exactly what I want to do with the idea of "making shoes" I may need some one-on-one business advising.
  3. I need to use my library for more research.
  4. Book recommendation- E-myth by Gerber. 
I left the class with a small list of "Practical Steps I Can Do to Move Forward".  Next week I'll share my progress.  Maybe I'll turn into an entrepreneur after all...  Or even better, someone who oozes aweomeness.

No comments:

Post a Comment