Monday, November 7, 2011

Interview Stories

It seems like there are a lot of interview horror stories out there about the interviewee.  You've heard the stories- poorly dressed applicants, rude behavior, awkward bodily functions, bad question responses...  I think these stories are supposed to make us job seekers feel better about ourselves after bombing an interview, or they are meant to be a wake-up call to the poorly dressed, rude, farting, and unprepared.  If you would like some good ones:
http://www.washingtonian.com/articles/businesscareers/2159.html

There are also some really good stories out there from the other side of the desk:
http://www.yelp.com/topic/chicago-funny-or-strange-interview-stories
http://www.snagajob.com/job-interview/funny-interview-stories.aspx
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/job-interview-horror-stories/story?id=8940390#.TrROabKipiN

We Decided You're Overqualified

My worst interview was for a job I never applied for.  The ad I responded to was from a scientific company that made HPLC columns (High Pressure Liquid Chromatography- I do have a chemistry degree after all).  They were looking for a stockroom assistant.  I did not have aspirations of being the next Einstein (in fact, I had yet to figure out what I wanted to do with my life) so this job seemed like it would be a good way for me to stay current in the scientific world while I figured out what I really wanted to do.

The company called me right away to schedule the interview.  I came prepared with my resume and a list of questions specifically related to the position of stockroom assistant.  When I showed up for the interview, they showed me where the stockroom was, then said, "we couldn't understand why you applied for this position as a stockroom assistant.  We decided you are overqualified for this position, but we're interviewing you today to see if you would be a good fit with one of our research and development teams."

Um... OK... You see the specialty of my studies was physical chemistry- quantum mechanics.  Organic chemistry, an understanding of which is extremely important for HPLC, was my least favorite subject ever.

 So the nice people at this HPLC column company decided to put me through a day-long interview where I was grilled one-on-one with each of their PhD research chemists on HPLC.  It was like a graduate level final exam on HPLC six-times over with six different exam practitioners in one day. Needless to say, I failed each one.  At least I got a free lunch out of the deal, where I got to meet other random members of the R&D teams.  They were probably wondering why I hadn't applied to the stockroom assistant position.

There was one other time I was interviewed for a position to which I did not apply.  In this case I was qualified for the position, but it was not the kind of work I was really hoping to do.  I think they sensed this at the interview and I never heard from the company again.  Special note to HR people- if you think a candidate is a better fit for a different position in the company, PLEASE talk to that person.  Tell them about the different position, explain to them why you are considering them.  Ask them if they would like to be interviewed for the position.  It can be a waste of time for everyone involved if you make a bad assumption.

I Think You Would Be Bored

Speaking of making assumptions... I worry that my education and work history in the physical sciences are intimidating to potential employers.  When I graduated from the Art Institute, I thought my history would be an advantage.  I expected that employers would say, "Wow!  Here is someone who is both creative and technical.  We need to get her on board now!"  My experience, however, has been completely the opposite. 

Not long after graduating from the Art Institute, I interviewed with a company known for their children's wear.  The position was Product Development Administrative Assistant.  They were basically looking for someone to handle all the shipping and receiving for the product development team, and provide other assistance as needed (like spec measurements).  I saw it as a foot in the door, even though it is a small company with low turnover. 

The HR Assistant called me for the first interview.  She was very nice and friendly and seemed impressed by my background.  She scheduled me right away for an in-person interview with the Product Development manager. 

The Product Development manager also noted my background, but in a much more negative way.  I had to defend myself during the interview against her allegations that I would be bored with the position.  That was pretty much the whole interview, from my recollection.  However, I didn't leave the interview with a totally negative impression.  I thought I defended myself well and she did admit that she liked me and thought I could be useful to her beyond the scope of the position.

I did not get the job.  The reason why, I was told, is that the Product Development Manager could not get over the fact that I "would be bored" with the position and with the low turnover at the company she didn't think I would last in the position for very long because of it.  As a result of this feedback, I immediately changed my resume, removing my prior degrees and downplayed my 10-year experience as a lab analyst.  I dumbed down my resume!

Jump ahead nine months.  The same company is hiring for a very similar position.  I apply.  The same very nice HR Assistant calls me for the first interview.  Again she seems impressed by my background.  She schedules me right away for the in-person interview with the Product Development Manager.  I admit to her that I had applied for the position before, tell her the feedback I had received, and defend myself against these allegations of boredom.

Not even ten minutes later the nice HR Assistant calls me back.  The Product Development Manager remembered me and would not change her mind about me.  She canceled my interview. 

And, by the way, the reason the position was open nine months later was because they had promoted the person they had hired. 

The Boss is Mean

My most awkward moment during an interview was recently after graduating from the Art Institute.  I was interviewing for a Product Development Assistant position at a very small company that sells their product nationally.  Cheap is the name of the game for this company.  They bang out tons of their product for a low price.  Things like fit and comfort are a secondary concern.  Already this is not my ideal work place.

There were only two people in the dingy office:  the Product Developer, and the owner of the company.  Their product was showcased on giant rolling garment racks and old dusty 1970's-era mannequins.  The office did not have a good vibe to it. 

After filling out a very lengthy application, I met with the Product Developer.  She was friendly but quiet.  I don't remember much about her except that when I left I couldn't help but feel a little sad for her.  Then I met with the owner of the company.  She was very direct and seemed like someone who you did not want to cross.  The owner of the company thought it would be a good idea for me to meet the Warehouse Manager. 

She called him in to the office and he took me back into the warehouse.  This was a completely different atmosphere.  There was a whole team of people working back here sorting product.  He showed me around the bustling warehouse and took me into his office.  He asked me how things were going so far and talked with me a little bit about the company.  He specifically asked how I got along with the owner of the company and explained to me that the reason this was an important question is because she can be mean to her employees.   I don't even remember how I responded to that.  That was the icing on the cake.  I did not want this job. 

This was the first and only time that I did not respond back to the company after the interview.  I did not send thank you notes, I didn't follow up with an email to check on my application status.  A few weeks later I received an email that they had "decided to follow through with other candidates."  That was the best I could hope for. 

Who the @%#* Do You Think You Are?

A friend of mine owns title to having the worst interview ever.  He was interviewing for a supervisor-type position at a restaurant.  He had already been on a multitude of phone and in-person interviews with various people within the company.  Finally, they brought him in to interview with the manager of that particular restaurant.

Since this was his fourth interview, he felt that he had asked all the "do you have any questions for us?" and had all the information about the job and the company that he needed.  So he showed up for the interview with just himself.

Immediately, the manager berated him.  Who the @%#* do you think you are walking in here unprepared?  You don't even have a &%$#ing notebook!  Why the &%*^ should I talk to you when you obviously don't care enough about this $#^#ing job to come prepared to the #%&ing interview?

My friend was berated and cursed at the entire time he was there.  Needless to say he did not get the job.  Nor did he want it.

See, I'm not the only one who doesn't want to work for a mean boss.

Please, feel free to share your interview stories in the comments.  I would love to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment