Monday, September 26, 2011

Thoughts on a birthday

Today is my birthday. Last year I was in the same position- unemployed and feeling like a useless burden on society. I know this is a gross exaggeration, but unemployment starts messing with your mind after awhile.

And so that is why I'm choosing today to start this blog and social media campaign. I have many goals. One is to show the truth of unemployment- including the misery of application processes, the agony of never hearing back from companies, the defeat of the rejection notices. The whole thing is rather demoralizing. Another hope is that my friends and readers will share job search tips, leads, contacts, etc. I would like this to be a living/breathing resource and idea sharing tool not only for me, but for others facing unemployment.

And there is a third goal here- I have shared with many friends an idea I have to start my own business making shoes. Two pairs of moccasins made from a commercially-produced pattern, some informational interviews, internet research notes, and a few quick sketches are all I have to show for this idea. I don't think of myself as a person with any kind of business sense so I have a lot of fear associated with moving forward. I would like to use this place to explore this idea further.

In short, I hope to use this forum to find my purpose in life and maybe as an added bonus help others find theirs as well.

And here we go...

No comments:

Post a Comment